Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 9: Christiansburg, VA to Radford, VA

Monday  May 28, 2012,  ~7  miles - Total so far: 378 miles*
    * Miles ridden on the TransAm route
    Odometer miles - Today - 7.6   Total to date -  410.8 miles

Mike and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good,Very Bad Day

Not the news I wanted to report, but it looks like my ride is over.  Riding alone out of Christiansburg this morning, making good time and enjoying a beautiful morning, I dropped my wheels off a 2-3" edge of the asphalt pavement as I moved right so a car could pass.  I tried to catch my balance and slow to a stop, but apparently I didn't.  I don't remember what happened in the next couple of seconds, but I remember a stranger asking if I was OK.

I had the Good Samaritan pull my cell phone from my bike bag and call our leader Paul, who arrived within about 10 minutes.  He called 911 and the ambulance came to take me to the hospital.

The damage - a broken upper left clavicle (collarbone), lots of road rash down my left side and a very sore right hip.  I'm really doing pretty well - could be the pain meds they've given me - but I can't stand without almost passing out from the pain in my right hip.  The x-rays showed no breaks there, just the collarbone.  I should be OK somewhere down the line, but it's too soon to tell what my recovery time frame will be.

Paul spent most of the day with me, making sure I was OK and helping make arrangements for what comes next - getting back home to Allentown.  Thanks a million, Paul!  To the rest of the riders and our other leader, Nicole - it was great while it lasted.  I've enjoyed meeting and getting to know every one of you.  Wishing everyone all the best for a SAFE completion to the ride.

I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated, but overall doing pretty well.  It could have been much worse.

Sorry to end this travelogue this way.  I'll post a follow-up or two in the next few days to let you know what comes next for me.  Signing off for now.

Mike


7 comments:

  1. Mike,
    Sorry to hear about the fall, but I am
    very glad that your injurys were not worse. I'm
    spreading the news to all here at work that you
    are fine just MAJORLY BUMMED OUT right now!!

    Take care and stop by at work when you get a
    chance so that we can hear all of the storys
    that you didn't get a chance to blog about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      Sorry about the injury.
      I hope that you recover quickly.

      Rob

      Delete
  3. Dear Mike, I'm so sorry that this happened, but glad that you are on the mend.

    I'm so glad that I had the chance to see you, and will look forward to keeping up with the progress of your recovery.

    Best, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care Mike and do let us know when you are back in Allentown.

    Definitely happy that it was not worse than what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the mishap and I wish you all the best for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MIke that sucks,I'm so sorry my friend. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery to you. You'll get back at it soon,and get em next time.

    The Disabled Cyclist

    ReplyDelete