* Miles ridden on the TransAm route
Odometer miles - Today - 36.7 Total to date - 118.9 miles
Our shortest riding day, first camping day
Today was the shortest riding day of the trip except for our shakedown ride to Yorktown. Only 30 miles on the route plan. Embarrassingly, map geek that I am, I made three wrong turns which turned my day into almost 37 miles. Fortunately it wasn't on a long day, but I'm going to have to pay more attention to the details in the map narrative, particularly the mileage notes.
![]() |
| Glendale (VA) National Cemetery - just across the road from Willis Methodist Church |
Even with wrong turns we arrived in camp about 1:15pm. We set up our tents for the first time. I didn't put my fly over the tent right away, but after a bit Paul pointed out that the black clouds in the distance looked like rain so I put it on. We got a bit of rain shower about 20 minutes later, so my timing was fortunate. I sat in the tent and caught up on e-mails and some other business while it rained about 30 minutes.
A couple of our group took a wrong turn (I won't name names) and ended up near the Richmond airport early in their ride. The got a ride back on course from a friendly guy named Tom, so it actually made for an interesting experience. But because they were a couple of hours behind they got caught in some stronger rain with thunder and lightning a bit away from our camp location.
We're staying at a KOA campground adjacent to I-95 south of Ashland, VA. There's a lot of highway traffic which is particularly noticeable after going to bed. There are laundry facilities, nice showers and wi-fi so the amenities are very good.
![]() |
| Our campground at the Ashland KOA. Paul and the van are out shopping for food for dinner and tomorrow. |
![]() |
| My bike and my tent |
![]() |
| I-95 just beyond the edge of our campground. Traffic is slowed to a crawl southbound heading into Richmond. Very typical for I-95 in this area. |
One problem I discovered as I was writing this entry during the rain last night - the KOA wi-fi network didn't work for me, even though it had during the day. So I got a chance to try out my broadband USB modem, which worked great. I pay for data usage on that plan so I'll only use it when we don't have wi-fi, but it allowed me to do most of this entry last night and to finish it up this morning.




We got some heave rain yesterday evening for a short time and I was wondering how it works for you while camping. Glad to know that you have all the camp equipment for staying dry. Keep writing!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been camping for awhile - maybe 10 years ago? And that was before I had a laptop. And it did rain the night I went camping with my two friends. We didn't have a rain fly and the tent leaked. We ended up sleeping in my car that night. The thought of updating a blog while sitting in a tent with the rain coming down after traveling by bike 36+miles really spins my brain!
ReplyDelete