* Miles ridden on the TransAm route
Odometer miles - Today - 54.9 Total to date - 82.2 miles
Off to a great start!
The first riding day making progress to the west. We left this morning from Williamsburg. I took a leisurely ride through the Colonial Williamsburg area before riding along the Colonial Parkway to Jamestown - the same ride my wife and I did on Saturday morning. Then we continued on to the northwest arriving at the Willis Methodist Church near the tiny town of Glendale, VA. The route basically follows the James River, so there were many signs noting the old Virginia plantations which were built years ago on the river.
| The Capitol building in Williamsburg |
| The Governor's Mansion in Williamsburg |
| Thomas Jefferson sitting on a bench in Williamsburg - looking very bronze these days |
| A Great Blue Heron standing along the shore of a swampy area beside Colonial Parkway |
Along the way I made a stop at Shirley Plantation. I didn't take a full tour but I snapped a couple of photos because this is a stop I also made on my ride in 1976. It doesn't look like much has changed with the plantation in the last 36 years.
![]() |
| Shirley Plantation - 1976 |
| Shirley Plantation - 2012 |
| Willis Methodist Church |
| Our outdoor solar shower - top-notch accommodations! (If you look close you can actually see the water pouring from the bottom of the bag.) |

Wishing you all the best on this ride. It is great to see you have the opportunity to fulfill your dream. Enjoy every minute of it (even the hills)
ReplyDelete- John Russo
Where was the Shirley Plantation? Near the start or nearer Glendale, the first night in the church, which now has a shower!
ReplyDelete