Earlier this year I took the Basic and Advanced Bike Mechanics classes offered through the Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative, the bicycling education hub of the CAR-FREE CAT-Coalition for Appropriate Transportation.
Although I had a basic understanding of bike mechanics learned years ago, I learned a LOT of new things through these classes. Many thanks to Scott Sunderland who taught the basic class and especially to Frank Pavlick who taught the advanced class. When I completed that class two weeks ago Frank suggested I bring my bike in on a Saturday morning so he could go over it with me and get it in shape for the TransAm ride. I met Frank at the BBC workshop/office this morning and we got my bike in order. New tires, a new chain, wheel truing and some frame alignment details which Frank discovered and remedied. Frank is truly a bike mechanic extraordinaire!
Earlier in the week I did a trial pack of all the things for my trip. The goal is two medium bags each under 25 lbs. My attempt on Wednesday night proved I was bringing a bit too much stuff. I took another crack at it on Thursday night, shedding a bunch of "duplicate" stuff which I could do without. It looks like I'll meet the packing goal. One additional purchase item I've identified is a duffle bag without wheels, which I plan to buy this week. Turns out my very nice travel duffel with wheels weighs about 6 lbs. more than the one without. That's 6 lbs. less stuff I can bring. So when I swap to the lighter weight bag I should be good.
(I know this wouldn't make it on a self-supported tour - one advantage of being van supported is I can bring a few more creature comforts.)
The start is fast approaching now. My to-do list is still pretty long. Lots of details to attend to when you're going to be away for ~3 months. Making sure my bike is in good shape for this ride is one big one that I can cross off that list.
No comments:
Post a Comment