Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 61: Layover day - West Yellowstone, MT

A few weeks ago I had thought I might ride back into Yellowstone to do more sightseeing on this layover day.  However, we're staying about 14 miles from Madison which would be the first point where we could ride a different road than we rode out yesterday.  I didn't feel up for another ~30 mile riding day when I could use the day to relax around town and rest up instead.

So I did some sightseeing around West Yellowstone, MT today, caught up on my blog, ate three very good restaurant meals and generally relaxed.  What follows are photos from my day around town.

Interesting carved wood figures atop a hotel near our camp.  Many of the hotel's buildings have similar carvings.

Apparently the city of West Yellowstone had an art exhibit of painted bison a while ago.  Several of these bison can be seen around town.

Two Grizzly bears on display at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in town.
Some of the wolves on display at the center.
Exterior view of the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center
There's a museum in town dedicated to the history of Yellowstone.  They had a number of exhibits around the exterior of the museum (which is housed in the old Union Pacific Railroad station) focused on transportation around the park over the years.

An early snowplow.
Predecessor of the snowmobile?  A propeller driven snow machine.
An early stagecoach.
Another early stagecoach.
 The Holiday Inn in town has an entry building which is built around an old luxury railcar, the Oregon Line #103.  It was a custom car built for the VP of the Oregon Line (if I remember the details correctly).

Exterior of the railcar

An interior view down the long corridor of the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment