Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 53: Walden, CO to Saratoga, WY

Wednesday, July 11, 2012,  69 miles - Total so far: 1181 miles*
    * Miles ridden on the TransAm route
    Odometer miles - Today - 69.5 Total to date - 1236.9 miles  

Welcome to windy Wyoming!


My first night in the tent since returning to the ride went fine.  It was cool enough overnight that I used my sleeping bag instead of my sleep sheet, but I stayed comfortable.  It didn’t get as cold as the night before in Hot Sulphur Springs.
Sunset the evening before from Walden, CO
I got up around 5:45am to pack up and get ready for breakfast at 7:00am (which usually means everyone has their lunch made and is eating breakfast by 7:00am).  We got on the road by 7:30am.  The roads were better going out of Walden than they had been the day before.  The morning was beautiful, clear, cool but not cold and more scenic views.
Heading down the road from Walden - State Line, 22 miles  Saratoga, 62 miles
Wide open landscape with mountains in the distance
Some hills as we approach the state line
A small calf somehow got on the outside of the fence.  Mom's trying to get him back somehow.
22 miles into the ride we reached Wyoming – my 2nd state line crossing and the group’s 6th.  We all stopped at the state line for the obligatory photos.  Greg and Monica were there as I arrived, but they’d been there long enough that they were ready to ride on.  Huey was also there and within a few minutes everyone else arrived.
Made it to Wyoming
We all did individual photos and then I tried to setup my tripod to get a group shot with the delay timer.  Just as I got it setup to shoot my camera battery died.  Bad timing and bad planning.  Wendy’s camera battery also died at the same stop.  So Huey used my tripod to shoot a group shot of everyone.  I need to get him to share the photo with me.

Because my camera was dead I didn’t get as many photos today.  The best shot of the day was the one I missed.  As we started riding into Wyoming from the state line I was just ahead of Wendy and Judy.  Judy called out “Look left” and there across the road running alongside us were two antelopes.  A great photo op and Wendy and I were both without cameras.  They ran along with us for several yards.  (You’ll just have to use your imagination).

We rode on through fairly barren land covered in sagebrush, but with scenic mountain views in the distance.  There was one two mile climb that was a bit tough at mile 33, but a great smooth, straight downhill with no traffic followed.  I hit a max speed of 42.6mph.  That will probably be my high for the whole tour.  Soon after, Nicole arrived in the van to offer us service.  I was fortunate to be able to retrieve one of my bags and get my camera charger from it.

At mile 50 we reached the tiny community of Riverside, WY, home of the Mangy Moose restaurant.  We all stopped for a lunch break.  I had a cheeseburger that was pretty good.  I was also able to charge my camera battery while we ate, so I got pictures from the rest of the day.
Leaving Riverside - Saratoga, 18 miles
The lowlight of the day came about 5 miles out of our destination city of Saratoga, WY.  I was moving pretty fast down a descent to try to carry some speed into the rise ahead.  At the bottom I crossed a bridge over a small creek and heard a ka-thunk from my bike.  As I went on I found that my rear tire was flat.
Fortunately Paul and the others were close behind.  Paul stopped to help while the others went on.  We looked at the tire and found a 4-inch nail driven clear through the tire and tube.  Fortunately, I had a spare.  Unfortunately, as I put the tire back on the rim I apparently pinched the tube putting a hole in it.  Fortunately I had a patch kit, so we patched the new tube.  Unfortunately as I tried to screw on the retaining ring and dust cap the valve broke and the tube wouldn’t hold air.  Fortunately we had the original tube with the nail hole, so we patched it.  Unfortunately, we didn’t think that the nail might have caused two holes, one on either side of the tube.  Fortunately, we were able to patch the second hole.  Unfortunately, we were in too big a hurry and the patch didn’t hold.  Fortunately I still had patches so we patched it again and took our time for it to seal.  Fortunately this time it held air and I was able to ride!  The whole episode took over an hour, so I made it into camp after 3:00pm.
Saratoga, Pop. 1690, Elev. 6786
We stayed at the Saratoga Lake Campground, about 2 miles outside of town on a small lake.  There were pit toilets and no drinking water, just one spigot with non-potable water.  Also, there were mosquitoes everywhere.   Not nearly as nice as the Walden city park.

Our late arrival into camp threw off the shower shuttle schedule.  Once we made it, Nicole made one trip in for everyone but Paul (who was cooking) at about 3:45pm.  We showered and then I came back and setup my tent.  I was able to charge my netbook for a while using power from one of the RV spots, but there was no power at our tent sites.

Just about dinner time a big gusty storm blew in.  There was hardly any rain (thankfully), but the wind threatened to blow down our tent canopy over the cooking area.  The wind got stronger as we ate dinner.  Everyone had to grab everything they could and chase after a couple of things that blew away.  It certainly made for an interesting dinner.

The wind continued as we cleaned up.  We managed to get the tent canopy down without it blowing away or getting anyone hurt.  Then we held our map meeting inside the van.  After that, some people made a trip into town in the van and I hung out in my tent typing this blog entry and hoping not to get blown away.  As I finished this up, the winds calmed and there was a beautiful sunset.  
Sunset as I prepared for bed
A short time after I turned in for the night I heard others outside so I went out and saw this.
So we weathered the storm.  When we woke up the morning was calm and all was well (though the mosquitoes were still swarming everywhere).  There was no internet connection from the Saratoga Lake campground, so I'm posting this from Rawlins this afternoon - one day late.

No comments:

Post a Comment