Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 44: Eads, CO to Ordway, CO

Monday, July 2, 2012,  62 miles - Total so far: 775 miles*
    * Miles ridden on the TransAm route
    Odometer miles - Today - 61.9 Total to date - 812.3 miles
 


(I'm falling behind with my blog, so this recap of yesterday is being written Tuesday evening, 7/3.)

Could Colorado be more barren than Kansas?

The answer is yes - at least through this eastern section of Colorado.  The route is not as straight as in Kansas, but the terrain is just as flat and the vegetation is more barren.

The day's ride was 62 miles - not nearly so daunting as the previous day's 80 miles.  There was still a crossing to head wind in the morning, but not as strong as the day before.  Temperatures were a bit
cooler, but services were very limited along the route.
It's still Hwy. 96, but now we're in Colorado
I was riding with Wendy as we approached our morning rest stop in Haswell, CO.  Alongside the road I saw something hopping which looked like a kangaroo.  It turned out to be a small mule deer fawn which still had its spots.  I only managed to get one poor picture, but at least you can see it in the picture below.
Spotted mule deer fawn in the shadow of a shed beyond the railroad track.

Scenic eastern Colorado
 After lunch break I rode alone for a while and took the time to take a few photos of the flowers alongside the road in this area.
Not sure what this purple flower is, but they're growing alongside the road.

Wild sunflower, with herd of cattle beyond
Thistle
Thistle, part II
 We did our lunch/rest stop in Arlington, CO - a town with about three houses, but a nicely shaded rest area with a picnic table.
Lunch stop in Arlington, CO
More beautiful Colorado scenery.
Sugar City, Elevation 4308 ft.
A caboose on display at the city park in Sugar City, CO
The final rest stop of the day was in Sugar City, only 6 miles from our destination of Ordway, but with the temperature rising it was nice to take another break before pressing on.  When we arrived in Ordway the others headed right to the hotel, but I took a detour to check out the Dairy King.  I thought I'd get some kind of ice cream, but the cheeseburger on the menu looked too tempting.  So I did the burger with a large coke refilled once and the waitress told me I could get a free piece of cake with my order.  Free for for a cyclist?  Are you kidding? Of course I'll have it!
The Dairy King, Ordway, CO

Paul and I shared this room at the Hotel Ordway in beautiful downtown Ordway, CO

Main Street - Ordway

The Hotel Ordway, seen from the city park.
So I'm still behind in my blog.  It's Tuesday evening, about 9:20pm.  I'm late for my usual bedtime and I still haven't described today's ride - from Ordway, CO to Pueblo, CO.  Tomorrow we ride to Canon City, CO and have a layover day, so I'll try to get caught up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment