Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 59: Layover Day - Colter Bay Village, Grand Teton National Park, WY

On our layover day at Colter Bay Village I got up early to do laundry before the crowds showed up.  The afternoon before the laundry room was a zoo, so I got there and did my wash at 6:00am.  Then I went over to the restaurant for the breakfast buffet.
The Tetons in the morning sunlight from the Colter Bay Village store area
Grand Teton Mountain from the visitor center parking lot
After breakfast and a trip back to the campsite I walked back to the Visitor's Center to catch a bus to Jenny Lake Visitor's Center.  There I crossed the lake on a shuttle boat along with Paul and Ubald.  They did a long hike up the canyon, but I just spent a view minutes enjoying the views from the lake's far side.  Then I returned and looked around the Visitor's Center.
Getting on the boat to cross Jenny Lake
View from the Jenny Lake boat ride
Another view from the Jenny Lake boat
View of the Jenny Lake boat returning to the other side
The Tetons
After a while in the Visitor's Center area I decided to take the 3 mile walk to the Jenny Lake Lodge.  It was a very nice trail along the east and north sides of the lake with more great views.  Then I caught the 1:00pm shuttle bus back to Colter Bay Village.
The Tetons from the walk to Jenny Lake Lodge
A panoramic view from the north side of Jenny Lake
View from the trail along the north side of Jenny Lake
Another view of Jenny Lake
The stream flowing into Jenny Lake
The campground at Colter Bay Village was in a very nice wooded area.  It really felt like camping in the wilderness.  The only problem was it was a ~12-15 minute walk from our site to the store/cafe/showers/laundry and the Visitor's Center.  It was inconvenient to get much done
My tent site at the Colter Bay Village group campsite

The van parked at the edge of our wooded campsite in Colter Bay Village campground

1 comment: