Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 39: Sterling, KS - Layover day

This is my first layover day of the trip.  I didn't make it to the first one in Damascus, VA and missed the layovers in Berea, KY, Carbondale, IL (though I did visit then) and Eminence, MO.  After eight straight days of riding everyone else was definitely ready for a day off.

The heat continues to be unbearable here in central Kansas - so this layover day was doubly welcome.  There were a few early risers who got up around 6:00am or earlier.  Others took advantage of the off day to sleep in.  About 7:00am I walked downtown with Paul, Huey, Monica and Greg for breakfast at the Sterling Cafe in the center of town.  It's about a mile and was pleasant at that hour.  When we walked back about 8:30am it was already starting to get uncomfortable.
Front of Cooper Hall, Sterling College - built 1887
After breakfast I hung out in the air conditioned dorm lounge and did things on my computer.  I didn't feel like walking back downtown for lunch, but there was a Subway shop just across Broadway from our dorm.  Later in the afternoon a group of us rode in the van down to the local swimming pool.  When we got there we saw there was no shade anywhere around the pool.  Simon, Ubald and Huey went ahead in for about a 45 minute swim while Nicole, Judy, Gina, Wendy and I went to the local coffee shop downtown.  I got a great blueberry-banana smoothie which was just right for this afternoon.

We spent the rest of the afternoon inside taking shelter from the heat.  I did walk over to the bookstore next door and bought a postcard, then took a photo of one of the campus buildings.  The wave of heat that struck as you went outside was incredible. 
Back side of Cooper Hall in late afternoon

Normally on a day off everyone would go out somewhere for dinner.  This night no one wanted to brave the heat again, so we ordered out for delivery pizza.  After dinner most of the group watched a movie while I'm sitting here catching up with today's blog entry. 

Overall, a good day to relax and stay inside away from the heat.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on getting back ot the ride and enjoy your layover day.

    - John R.

    ReplyDelete