Many people have told me they're amazed and / or impressed that I'm resuming the TransAm ride so quickly. My crash was exactly four weeks ago yesterday. In some ways I'm amazed too - amazed at the healing powers of my body. But, never having broken any bone before I really had no way to gauge how long it should take to recover.
Personally, I'm mostly just thankful. I could tell after a week or so that I was feeling a bit better everyday. I had hopes, but waited until I saw Dr. Stansbury a week ago to be sure I wasn't likely to mess things up more by resuming.
I targeted this day to return to riding based on the logistics, the ride schedule, the location and the degree of difficulty of the rides. Today was perfect because I got to ride 58 miles of flat terrian to get back in the groove and then get a rest day tomorrow. That's followed by ~50 miles, then ~65 miles before a couple of back-to-back 79 mile days. Plus it's all in Kansas and very flat. Coming back now gives me a chance to take it a bit easier and not do any serious climbing for the first week, while I continue to mend.
What my quick return is NOT is an indication of any athletic prowess or superhuman will power on my part. I'm not an athlete, just a guy who likes to bike. I'm not enduring excruciating pain to get back at it against all odds. I'm still a bit sore but overall I'm feeling very good (maybe ~90%). It actually feels better to be riding than some other things like lifting with my left arm or bending / squatting in particular ways. The biggest discomfort I have is in finding a comfortable sleeping position, though that's also getting better day by day.
More than anything my quick return is a testament to determination. I can be pretty determined when I've got a goal I want to accomplish and I have the know-how and ability to accomplish it. I've never been one to sit around and feel sorry for myself or bemoan my fate in life. I think a positive attitude goes a long way in many endeavors.
So, to those who've expressed awe, disbelief or amazement at my return - I thank you for your thoughts and appreciate your words of congratulations and encouragement. Your support also helps drive me, but I'm not Superman, just a guy who likes to ride, likes to travel, likes to see and experience new things - and is incredibly blessed to be able to do so.
Now, on to Oregon -
this time, keeping the primary creed of every bicyclist in mind - "Keep the rubber side down!"
Mike,
ReplyDeleteGlad to see that you are back on the road.
Ride early and Stay Cool it's a bit warm out there.
I'm here in Boulder. I missed Russ in the mountains. He and the rest of the unsupported
team made it to Breckenridge yesterday (Tuesday, 26th) and have a rest day today. The
fires here in Colorado are awful. There is the
Waldo Canyon fire near Colorado Springs which is
just now impacting the Air Force Academy. The High Park Fire near Fort Collins continues to grow and is closing in on being the largest fire
in Colorado history. Yesterday here in Boulder
2 lightning strikes started the Flagstaff fire
and the Boulder area was covered in smoke. It's
truly a State on Fire.
Yes, everyone here has heard about the Colorado wildfires and is concerned. So far it seems like none are directly on our route. Still there might be problems with smoke heading our direction. Not much we can do - just keep watching and riding ever closer to Colorado. We enter Colorado on Sunday (Eads) and will be in Pueblo on Tuesday, July 3.
Delete