Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Making Plans to Rejoin the Ride!

Yes!  Based on the doctor's assessment yesterday and my rides yesterday and today I've made plans to rejoin the TransAm ride.  I've made a reservation to fly to Wichita, Kansas and resume riding with the group next Tuesday from Newton, Kansas. Yay!

After yesterday's 12 mile ride I got up this morning and did a 30-mile ride.  Still mostly flat but at a better pace today.  My hip bothered me less today than yesterday - maybe an indication that activity is helping the healing.  My shoulder is still sore so I avoid bumps and the doctor cautioned me not to pull with my left arm.  That should be easier to accomplish by starting in Kansas where it's relatively flat.  I'm hoping by the time we get to the Colorado mountains my shoulder will be much improved.

Having decided to resume the ride, the next challenge has been working out the logistics.  I'll have to check my bike as baggage on the flight, so I've picked up a used bike box from the local bike shop (thanks, BikeLine).  I determined that I can carry the box in my own car which makes the departure much easier.  I'll make arrangements with Paul and Nicole for someone to pick me up in the van in Wichita.  One reason this works well is it's only ~35 miles from Newton to Wichita.  I've mostly keep my things for the trip packed, but I'll need to review my packing list and gather up everything again.

In the meantime, I'll ride again the next three days to get back in a bit better shape.  It's a heatwave in Allentown, high of 96 expected tomorrow, so I'll ride early and keep the mileage short.  That's a luxury the TransAm riders don't have.  They rode 64 miles today, they have 48 miles tomorrow and 69 on Friday.  Temperatures in western Missouri have been almost as hot as in Pennsylvania - and they have specific distances to ride each day.  One might wonder why I want to rejoin the ride, but I'm thrilled to be preparing to get out there and get going again!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,

    I'm a friend of Gina's. I've been following everyone's blog and I just wanted to say I'm so excited for you that you get to go back on the road. You're a brave and determined soul and I wish you a great ride to the Pacific.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I am so happy for you. Have fun.
    Yoddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME news,Brother! Be careful,but have a blast,can't wait to read all about it :D

    The Disabled Cyclist

    ReplyDelete