Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Back In The Saddle Again!! (Gingerly)

I went to the doctor this morning.  He said my collarbone has started to mend.  Everything seems to be going as expected.  I talked to him about getting back on my bike and a time frame for rejoining the ride.  He agreed that as long as I take it easy at first, especially with my shoulder, I can get back on the bike.  I outlined a tentative plan for rejoining the TransAm ride and he said it should be OK.  (I suspect it helps that he's also a cyclist, so he's got the same wiring in his brain which says "Get on the bike and ride!".)

So I came home from the doctor, put on my cycling clothes for the first time in 4 weeks and went for a ride.  I took it easy, riding various loops around the neighborhood which is almost completely flat, but I did 12 miles at an average speed of 10.4mph.  Pretty slow and not a lot of exertion, but it's a start.  I'll see how I feel the rest of the day and how I sleep.  Then I'll try to get out and do >20 miles tomorrow.  If that works then I should be well on my way to getting back out on the TransAm route soon!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. My fingers are crossed too, Mike!

    Best, Diane

    ReplyDelete