Thursday, June 21, 2012

40 miles today - Rolling Along!

Because of the heat I got started at 6:35am today.  I did a 40-mile route to the west of Allentown over a mostly flat course, but with a few moderate climbs today.  Still nothing strenuous.  My hip is feeling pretty close to 100%.  The only issue is swinging my leg up over the saddle to get on and off the bike.  I'm a bit more stiff-legged doing that than I'd normally be.  My shoulder doesn't bother me while riding, but it feels stiff when I stop.  Overall I'd say everything's working OK and I should be ready to ride the flats of Kansas next week.

The countryside is mostly farmland along this route.  Not much traffic, very calm and peaceful.
Field of wheat appears to be almost ready for harvest.  Hazy, hot and humid on this day.
I made a stop today at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome (actually the Valley Preferred Cycling Center - this being the age of corporate sponsorships of athletic venues).  I took one lap around the track just for kicks.  First time I've been on the track with my Surly LHT, though I've ridden a couple of other bikes there.  Never done it on a real track bike - they have a single fixed gear and no brakes, a bit too intimidating for me.
The photo panorama merge distorts everything, but the track is a 333 meter highly banked oval.
I'll ride again tomorrow and Saturday which should put me in reasonable shape to resume the TransAm ride.

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad to see you're back on the trail,my friend!

    The Disabled Cyclist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you back in the saddle again! Good luck, and keep on biken!

    Mike Kuneck

    ReplyDelete