My sleeping bag is a Marmot Mavericks +30, rated to 30F, filled with synthetic SpiraFil High Loft insulation. Total weight of the bag is about 4 lbs. In addition I bought a Cocoon cotton travel sheet from REI. It's not quite as light or compact as a silk sheet, but it's about half the cost. The third piece of my sleep gear is a Thermarest Basecamp 2" thick self-inflating sleeping pad. It's full size, 26" x 76". If I were hauling everything on my bike I'd probably choose something smaller and lighter, but I bought this one for the RAGBRAI Iowa ride in 2009 and figure it will work this summer as well.
I expect I'll use the sleep sheet alone and sleep outside the bag on the warmest nights. The bag should work well for cooler nights. Hopefully we won't encounter nights much colder than 30F, but combining the sheet with the bag should be warm enough. If not, I'll wear whatever other clothes I need to stay warm. The sleeping pad provides another degree of warmth by keeping me up off the cold ground.
Hopefully this setup will provide comfortable sleeping throughout the ride. I'll let you know how this all works out when we get to Oregon. :-)
![]() |
| The sleeping bag on top of the air mattress |
![]() |
| The sleep sheet folded in half lengthwise on top of the sleeping bag and mattress |
![]() |
| The sleeping bag stuffed in its compression sack and the sheet folded in its storage bag |



No comments:
Post a Comment