Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The maps arrived!

I received my packet of maps for the TransAm route on Thursday.  They're great!  There are 12 maps each covering about 300-400 miles of the route.  The maps show the route graphically and also include turn-by-turn directions in both eastbound and westbound directions.  There's an overview of the topography for each section along with some notes about the region's history.  There's also a directory of services of interest to cyclists, some notes on regional climate and the natural environment.

The map delivery was very timely.  I didn't ride this weekend.  On Friday I had a minor outpatient surgical procedure in my lower abdomen.  There was no way I was going to sit on a bicycle seat over the weekend.  Instead I spent the weekend studying the maps.  I'm an absolute map geek!  I could spend hours poring over maps,  learning everything they have to show.  So that's what I did Saturday and Sunday.

My recovery is coming along nicely and I'll be ready to ride again by next weekend.  There are eight more weekends until the trip begins.  I've got other obligations for two of those weekends, so I've got six more riding weekends to finish getting in shape.  I'll be upping my mileage and working into ride-ready shape before heading to Williamsburg.

Here's a few looks at the maps:
The full 12 map set

The map side of one map - each section covers ~20-30 miles of the route.  The map can be folded so one section is visible through my map holder mounted on my handlebars.

The information side - Historical notes, nature notes, climate notes, service directory and topological view at the top.


The maps are printed on plasticized paper which is waterproof, tear resistant and foldable.  Very well organized with great attention to the needs of bicycle travelers.  Great!

4 comments:

  1. ACA maps rock!! For a long time west on the Northern Tier in 2006 I could not bring myself to venture even a block of the mapped route. I gradually convinced myself it was OK to "chart new ground" once in a while. The info on the back re: facilities is great. I usually camp and find the lodging (camping) info so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob* - nice idea, but is the Tom-Tom waterproof? Extremely low power without recharging? I'm an old-fashioned guy, so I'll stick with the ancient technology of a foldable map. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I'm Katie, Kristen's friend. Enjoying your blog, and will have fun "following" you across America. I'd like to meet you one of these days. I think you should also meet my husband. He's an electrical engineer, likes to bike (though not avidly) - he even has an electric-assist bike, and loves maps. I think the two of you would get along well. Enjoy the wedding this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete