Friday, August 3, 2012, 68 miles - Total so far: 2359 miles*
* Miles ridden on the TransAm route
Odometer miles - Today - 70.0 Total to date - 2454.9 miles
Three passes over 5,000 ft each.
Because it was supposed to be a relatively long ride with three pass to climb we got started just after 7:00am. It was another pleasant, cool morning to ride. I rode ahead of my regular group early in the day because I was on cook duty tonight. There were no services until mile ~53, but Paul promised a van stop somewhere near the first pass.
 |
| Heading out of Baker City on Oregon highway 7. |
Oregon highway 7 out of Baker City followed the Powder River upstream
for the first 27 miles. It was mostly a slow uphill with one slightly
steeper climb. Then at mile 27 we encountered a ~4 mile climb to
Sumpter Pass, 5,082 ft. Paul has passed me on the way up, but before I
reached the top he was headed back down to help Wendy who had a blowout
of her inner tube. Paul passed me again going up before I got to the
top but when I topped the pass he wasn't there. I thought for a moment
I'd have to ride to the next pass to find him, but he'd found a spot in
the shade about a mile down.
 |
| Out route followed the Powder River upstream for the early miles. |
 |
| The Powder River has been dammed to form Phillips Lake about 20 miles out of Baker City. |
 |
| McEwen Railroad station - a tourist train to Sumpter runs from here. |
 |
| Mountains in the distance beyond the first pass, Sumpter Pass. |
 |
| Austin Jct, 12 miles - our first service stop of the day at mile 53. |
 |
| Summit, Tipton Mtn., 5,124 ft. |
 |
| Looking toward the Strawberry Mountains past Tipton Pass. |
I got a drink and chatted with Ubald and Simon when I got to the
van stop. Then Huey and Jake joined us. Ubald and Simon rode on before
me, but then I went ahead on my own. The next pass was Tipton Pass,
5,124 ft. 14 more miles ahead. It was about like the first one - about
3-4 miles of the steeper climb, but nothing like some of what we've
done.
Tipton Pass was followed by an 8 mile downhill to Austin
Junction, the only store/services on our route today. I got a Gatorade
to drink and then a double scoop of huckleberry ice cream. I continued
on alone to the final pass of the day, Dixie Pass, 5,277 ft. It was
probably the most gradual of the day's three climbs, though about the
same 3-4 mile length. This was followed by a lovely ~9 mile downhill
into Prairie City with great views of Strawberry Mountain and the entire
Strawberry range in the distance. I got to camp about 1:45pm, set up
my tent and then rode the 0.3 miles back to downtown Prairie City (pop.
~1000) to look around. I also had a double scoop ice cream at the Oxbow Restaurant in downtown.
For dinner Greg and I made port cutlets, broccoli, salad and bread purchased the day before at the Safeway in Baker City. Our goal was something quick and easy since we were expecting today to be a long, hard day. It didn't turn out to be as bad as we feared. The passes weren't too hard and the temperature didn't get about about 85, so all in all it was a pretty moderate day. In any case, dinner worked out fine, everyone seemed to enjoy it and the apple pie and cheesecake we got for dessert almost completely disappeared.
Another good day on the TransAm ride.
 |
| Forest lined highway 7. |
 |
| Summit, Dixie Pass, Elev 5,277 ft. |
 |
| The covered wagon contains a display about tourist attractions in the area - Strawberry Mtn., 9.042 ft. in the distance. |
 |
| Entering Prairie City, OR |
 |
| The DeWitt Museum at our campground in Prairie City - original the railroad station. |
 |
| Our campground at Depot RV park. |
 |
| An old railroad cattle car at our campground. |
 |
| Main Street of Prairie City, OR |
 |
| Twin Virgins bar in the Oxbow Restaurant in Prairie City - carved in Milan in the late 1800s. |
No comments:
Post a Comment