I was hoping to get back outside on my bike again this
weekend. Last weekend, with a bit of spring
like weather, I rode all three days including the President’s Day holiday. Winter was back this weekend, so I stayed
indoors.
That means riding my stationary bike in my family room. It’s boring and the scenery doesn’t change,
but it keeps my legs moving, gives me an aerobic workout and is better than
nothing. To beat the boredom I park it
in front of the TV whenever there’s something on that will pass the time.
![]() |
| My Schwinn exercise bike |
As I was considering whether to brave the cold I thought
back to a time when I rode 6 days a week, cold or hot, rain or shine, even in
snow, sleet or sheets of ice. When I
delivered newspapers there wasn’t any option to stay indoors out of the
weather. I’d bundle up with my long
underwear, heavy winter coat, extra shirt and socks, full face mask on my head
and go through the coldest days of winter.
Of course I was a bit younger then. It was also my source of income. No paper route meant no spending money. So I rode.
But, maybe I’m also getting soft as I age. One positive thought about these
recollections from long ago – it IS possible to ride a bike in almost any
weather. I’m sure there will be days
this summer when the weather is less than perfect. I’ll try to think back to the worst weather I
rode in back in those days and be encouraged knowing it probably won’t be as
bad as that.
But right now I’m ready for Spring!

No comments:
Post a Comment